Position: Senior Structural Engineer
Reports to: Sam Johnston
Travel Required: Car Required (Own Car Preferred)
Position type: Senior
Location: Witney or Southampton
Level/Salary Range: TBA
Date updated: 13/02/2024
SWJ Company, a rapidly growing, award-winning, and highly respected Structural Engineering Practice based in West Oxfordshire, is seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our team. As a firm of structural engineers, we are dedicated to delivering exceptional standards of work and pushing the boundaries of digital construction techniques. We offer a stimulating and supportive work environment, continuous learning opportunities, and a strong emphasis on professional development, with good rates of pay, pension and a bonus scheme.
• Leading and managing structural design on projects as required; undertaking detailed engineering design of a wide variety of buildings structures.
• Represent SWJ Consulting at meetings with the client, other professionals and suppliers.
• Delivering excellent project work within agreed deadlines and within budget.
• Ensuring appropriate service/design decisions are met.
• Keeping senior staff informed of important and relevant design decisions to make sure that the objectives of the company and the client are achieved.
• Coordinating your work with other members of the project team, including graduates and technicians.
• Attending site visits
• Ability to assess, prioritise and organise self.
• Ability to prepare drawings using AutoCAD/Revit or prepare mark ups using the company standard within Bluebeam.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
• Strong and relevant project experience
• Chartered or Near Chartered engineer – ICE, IStructE most likely.
• Strong academic, engineering degree qualified (or equivalent). Additional qualifications such as PhD, MSc, MEng or MA are welcomed but not essential.
• A desire to get involved in highly technical problem solving. • Knowledge of tools such as Sofistik, TEDDS, TSD or similar is beneficial.
• Ability to sense check calculations and challenge solutions.
• Experience of working with a range of structures e.g. buildings, substructure and foundation in a range of materials e.g. concrete, steel, timber, masonry
• Capable of operating as technical lead as well as a team member; also in a team and on your own
• Experience of site investigations and supervision including desk study reports
• Be innovative and looking to use and further develop your technical delivery skills.
• Good team management skills and on-the-job training of junior engineers
• Experience and understanding of quality, environmental and safety project requirements.
What We Ask of Our Employees:
• Be inquisitive and ask “why?” to drive advancements and challenge the status quo.
• Communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally.
• Engage in constructive arguments based on knowledge, skills, reason, and logic.
• Take accountability for actions and seek opportunities for improvement.
• Embrace failure as a means of learning and improvement.
What Do We Provide Our Employees in Return?
• A supportive and friendly work environment with a small, close-knit team.
• Flexibility in working arrangements to accommodate personal needs.
• Opportunities for continuous learning and professional development.
• Direct involvement of the Directors in training and mentoring.
• Access to a wealth of experience and expertise in building structures and digital construction techniques.
• Training courses, online resources, and lunchtime CPD seminars.
Within two years, the successful candidate will:
• Be leading the design and managing resource within the business.
• Be the point of contact for projects and be responsible for the design from concept to completion.
• Have developed your own portfolio of clients.
• Assisting in the professional development of junior colleagues
• Assessing various computer design packages for their potential to improve the level of service that the business is able to offer and make recommendations to the Directors for their adoption.
2 If you are a skilled structural engineer, you have an MEng, BEng or MSc engineering degree and can demonstrate passion, ambition and attitudinal ability needed to meet the profile and grow into a future leader.
Please submit your application, including your CV and a cover letter, detailing your relevant experience and qualifications, to email@example.com