Position: Senior Structural Engineer
Travel Required: Yes
Position type: Permanent
Location: Witney, Oxfordshire
Level/Salary Range: Negotiable
Date posted: 17 February 2021
Why work with SWJ?
SWJ is a fast growing, award winning and highly respected Structural Engineering Practice based in West Oxfordshire. The company was started in 2017 by three engineers looking to build a practice that offered the opportunity to work on exciting and challenging products. At the heart of our philosophy is collaboration; we’re passionate about leveraging the latest digital design technologies to integrate information and expertise from all parties to provide the client with the best possible solution. Ideally, we’re seeking a senior structural engineer approaching chartered status who has creativity and potential and is looking to make a difference in their career within an ambitious company.
We are now an established team of 8 individuals and our rapidly developing client portfolio continually presents challenging, varied and often extraordinary schemes. We are the perfect fit for an engineer who is looking for a challenging role, in an attractive location, to help us deliver schemes to the high standard we set ourselves.
Our mission and purpose as a company is clear; to become one of the UK’s leading Structural Engineering companies and to be our client’s first port of call, whenever they are challenged and in need of support. We work hard to maintain a culture that encourages excellence through support, learning and opportunity.
We know that there is strong competition for good structural engineers and so we have structured salary, bonus and benefits packages to attract the best the industry has to offer. On top of that we are looking to support our team’s well-being; this includes the opportunity to drive your career forward whilst offering a flexible working structure. Again, the heart of our philosophy is collaboration and we know the business will only be as successful as the individuals within it.
If you have directly relevant experience and can meet the profile below, or are less experienced but can demonstrate passion, ambition, creativity and the attitudinal ability needed to meet the profile below and grow with us please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Successful candidates will be able to:
- Support the Directors’ of SWJ by undertaking the design of structural elements in all common materials, i.e. steel, concrete, masonry and timber
- Use and adapt a number of software packages and understand how they can best be leveraged to provide a quality design and make best use of your time.
- Prepare sketches illustrating the design intent and size and disposition of the structural members for circulation to the design team
- Check drawings, prior to approval, against preliminary sketches for accuracy and identify opportunities to refine and improve the design
- Check reinforced concrete schedules against the general arrangement drawings and calculations.
- Communicate clearly and be confident in presenting your ideas and concepts to both your colleagues and other project stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a highly motivated and positive attitude towards productivity, engaging and aligning with the company’s vision, values, purpose and culture.
- Embrace our culture of encouraging excellence by taking the time to challenge, guide and develop others with in the team
- Demonstrate a passion for continuous learning and development, both personally and professionally
Within three years you will be:
- Ready for Professional Review – i.e. Obtain Chartered Status
- Be the point of contact for prestigious projects and be responsible for the design from concept to completion
- Starting to develop your own portfolio of clients
- Overseeing the professional development of junior colleagues
- Assessing various computer design packages for their potential to improve the level of service that the business is able to offer and make recommendations to the Directors for their adoption
How to apply:
In addition to your CV please submit a covering letter that includes;
- Why you are currently looking for a new role
- What you are looking to achieve in a new role
- Your relevant technical skills
- Your current salary package and availability.